84 Monmouth Road, Oakhurst, NJOld Oakhurst Schoolhouse
Building Dated to 1834
Building Moved to its Current Location from 163 Monmouth Road in 1890's
Building Marked by Township of Ocean Historical Society - 1976
This home on Monmouth Road was the first school of record in the present Oakhurst section. In 1834, the land was purchased by the trustees of the Deal School District at Sandy Lane (site of the Oakhurst School) and a two-room schoolhouse was built. It served the area children until 1870 when a second floor and two more classrooms were added at a cost of $2,000 to accommodate the growing enrollment. By 1885, the school had 156 students and a larger building was needed. To make room for the new school, the old schoolhouse was moved north on Monmouth Road to its present site. It continued to serve the community as Redman's Hall, as a temporary church and Sunday School, and as a social club, before becoming a private home.